Today, the modern manager/leader must fulfill a multitude of roles. As well as having the technical expertise in their field, the manager/leader must have distinct personal qualities such as initiative, empathy, adaptability and persuasiveness which in turn, are based on self awareness, self control and self motivation. These are the skills of Emotional Intelligence - the ability to recognize and regulate one's own feelings, be sensitive to the feelings and emotions of others and build empathic relationships with others.
Who Should Attend
Anyone with management responsibilities who wishes to develop their leadership skills in handling the emotional aspects of interpersonal relationships, grow their understanding of how to motivate others and how to maintain harmony in the team.
How will you benefit?
This one day course is designed to give participants:
· Clear insight into the cause and effect of emotions and how emotions can sabotage the leaders competency
· Begin to develop the 5 main elements of emotional intelligence and related skills - self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy and adeptness in relationships
· Clearly understand the difference between emotion and feelings
· Know how to control and direct feelings/emotions towards the achievement of specific goals
· See where emotional intelligence fits, as the `missing link' in management effectiveness
Intelligence is not developed, it is revealed!
“Intelligence itself, whether it is emotional, rational or spiritual, is not an academic subject that can be understood only at an intellectual level. There are no experts! In fact ‘academia’ and it’s theories often get in the way. These levels of intelligence are innate within every human being. However we are now at a point where we are realizing the need to ‘unlearn’ as much as learn, in order to reawaken our intelligence and rediscover the wisdom that lies in all our hearts.”
Mike George, Liberating Leadership
11:00 – 11:30 Registration and Coffee
11:30 – 13:00 Module 1
· The cause of all emotion
· What exactly is emotional intelligence
· What is emotion and where does emotion come from
· How emotion shapes behavior
13:00 - 13:15 Coffee Break
13:15 – 14:45 Module 2
· The difference between emotions and feelings
· The role of emotions and feelings in decision-making
· Making the shift from emotional ‘reaction’ to conscious ‘response’
· The mastery of emotion within the mystery of leadership
14:45 - 15:30 Lunch Break
15:30 – 17:00 Module 3
· Cultivating awareness of others feelings, needs and concerns
· Emotional literacy and the ability to recognise and understanding our own and other people's emotions
· The relationship between emotion and motivation
· Using EQ to build empathic relationships
· Developing the insights, methods and skills of empathy
Mike George is a management development tutor, a bestselling author and an inspirational speaker. For almost thirty years he has coached, guided and facilitated the executive development of managers and leaders in companies and corporations in over 30 countries. In a unique blend of insight, wisdom and humor, Mike brings together the three key strands of 21st century – emotional/spiritual intelligence, management/leadership development and continuous learning.
He is the author of nine books on Self Development including The 7 AHA`s of Highly Enlightened Souls, Don’t Get MAD Get Wise, In the Light of Meditation and his latest book The 7 Myths About LOVE…Actually has just been published. Each year he runs a series of Awareness Retreats worldwide.